Thursday, March 11, 2010

And to the Republic... Amen.

Ok... I have to get this down before it's too late and I forget.... This has happened twice now and I can't stop laughing when it does.

We have always taken turns when it comes to saying the prayer on the food for meals, and usually there is someone crying everytime because they thought it was their turn. That someone is usally Kaleb, who I admire for wanting to say the prayer for every meal. At first we would have to help him all the way through the prayer from beginning to Amen.... but, he recently developed that "I can do it" mentality, and has been saying the prayer pretty much on his own. Well for the past couple of "Kaleb blessed" meals, the prayer has gone pretty much like this...

"Dear Heavenly Father... (pause)... Jesus Christ... (pause)... of the United States of America... and to the republic for which it stands..."

What the heck... where did that come from??? I felt like I was back in elementary school again, with the inability to hold in a laugh... Aren't I the parent here? What kind of example am I to my other 3 kids who are watching me drop my head and shake as I turn into a leaky, spewing air compressor? And where on earth did my 3 year old learn the Pledge of Allegiance, yet alone learn to incorporate it into his prayers? I felt like unfolding my arms and placing my hand on my heart. And to make matters worse... he needs a little help with the Pledge, too. So, do you help him with the prayer, or correct him on the Pledge? Decisions... decisions...

Both times this has happened, I was standing a little closer, and Jaime gave me the "you're closer... do something about it" stare. I normally love the "Your Closer" general rule around the house, since most of the time she is standing closer, that... and I just love giving it. Unfortunately, again it was me... So, I had to RUDELY interrupt his sweet little moment of grace and say, "Hey... just don't forget to bless the food" as he raises his head to give me that "why are you interrupting my prayer" look...

Now, I don't normally cry or laugh during prayers... or haven't for a long time... but Kaleb, you've definitely made me feel young again.

Thanks,
Dad

5 comments:

Kami said...

How cute!

The McLaws Family said...

Ella told me all about this, and now everytime we say prayer Ella talks about Kalebs "Pledge of Allegiance" prayer. So funny:)

Dale and Nona said...

That's my grandson!!!! LOL!!!

Tara said...

Priceless :)

John, Susan & Tyler said...

Okay...I don't know who's cuter in the story...Kaleb or Brent...I vote for both :)Grammy Sue