Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Campin' with the Scouts...

This week, Jay Leonard and I took the scouts on their first overnighter in Wickenburg. The boys learned how to play with knives and axes, swing from ropes, and become pyromaniacs all in a single campout. Pretty impressive. I introduced Jay to my new, 30 second - self inflating rechargeable mattresses that I picked up at Sam's...which stayed perfectly pumped all night. Well worth the mullah ($). We slept like babies... that is until some nightmarish bugle starts trumpeting into my almost perfect night's sleep at 5:45am! It wouldn't have been so bad, I guess, had we not stayed up so late telling stories and peeing on the kids tents...the old flashlight, stick, and water bottle routine - in case anyone was worried. Just don't tell the kids. The kids split the meals and were responsible for cooking for the rest of the troop for either dinner or breakfast, but somewhere in the middle of cooking and seeing the other kids eating while they were cooking, caused them to make themselves a plate, sit by the fire, and let the food on the stove continue to burn. Needless to say... Jay and I ended up cooking "the rest of" breakfast and "the rest of" dinner... We need to work a little on the whole clean up part, too... It was a fun trip.






4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh this looks like so much fun. I wish I could have ate burnt food, and got my tent peed on!

Tara said...

Wow! Boys really NEVER grow up, do they!!! Such a great leader :D

Dale and Nona said...

Oh Scouts!!!! What more can I say!!! And I mean the little boys as well as the big ones!!!! Sounds like you had a great time!!

John, Susan & Tyler said...

These pictures are great, Brent! When Tyler saw them, he said, "I would have given anything to have Brent as my Scoutmaster! Those scouts don't know how lucky they are." I thought that was pretty cool! Love you, Mom