Monday, November 24, 2008

Half Way to Retirement

Since Jaime hasn't posted in... oh, I don't know, almost two weeks, I figure I'll keep the life of this blog alive. She keeps saying she has so many posts she needs to do, but keeps piling them up and hasn't found time to do them. I keep telling her we are turning into one of THOSE people. Yeah, so this week was my 31st B-day. They say your prime in life, for a man, is about 35 years old. That is suppose to be when everything starts to move back downhill. Why is that hard to believe... I'm still 4 years away and after shoulder surgery, reconstructive knee surgery, and arthritis in pretty much every joint in my body, I think I may be one of those fine print exceptions. I do try to hit the gym a couple times a week, which I never even considered doing at 25, and I have to say, it doesn't feel like I am moving towards my prime. In fact, I think this is the first year I have ever had to think beforehand about standing up s-l-o-w-l-y after I have been sitting for a while, so that I don't pull something in my back again. Yeah, that didn't happen at 25 either. Heaven forbid someone break into my house at night, as I would have to carefully roll out of bed and take a couple minutes to stretch out, so that I wouldn't cramp up and tip over in an attempt to protect the fam. Every time I watch one of those Home Gym commercials now where they have some bum saying, "I'm 50, and I'm in the best shape of my life.." I think, yeah, maybe you've lost a couple hundred pounds or so, and can now see your shoes, but don't bend over and try to tie them or you may never get back up. I guess 31 is the year that you actually start to feel old. It is half way to retirement though...

Other than the pain that comes with age, the overall birthday went well. Jaime took me out to breakfast at IHOP with Spencer and Lizeth, then we rushed to Kayley's (Jen & Jerry's daughter) birthday party for a couple hours, where there must have been a hundred kids. I haven't seen that many people at a birthday party since I was a kid and was invited to a friend's "mexican siesta". Afterwards, Mark and I ran to Ben Avery to sight in our rifles for his elk hunt which opens on Thurs (Thanksgiving). Oh yeah... And we all know how important it is to have a sighted gun, right! Hopefully, we will bring home a few hundred pounds of "dark meat" for Thanksgiving. Later that night, Jaime took me and invited Mark, Brooke, Spencer, and their spouses to an improv comedy club called Jester's. It was pretty funny. I had heard of it, but never been there. I was impressed with how quick some of the comedians could come up with on-the-fly skits and actually make them hilarious. If you've never gone, I would definitely check it out. Thanks Jaime.

This week's hunt should be pretty cold. Last year, it got down to about 11 degrees. That's too cold, especially for me. It's funny though how adrenalin and excitement seems to numb physical pain. Dale (my father in law) just got back from his hunt this weekend up north near the border by Kanab. Both him and his buddy Daryl hit a couple trophy bucks. Congrats! (Pic below) Hopefully we can keep the trend going for Mark's elk hunt.

10 comments:

Joanne Jarman said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday! The Jesterz are hilarious! I studied improv there before I married Kelly. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving, I hope we see you all soon!

The McLaws Family said...

It was a great night and great company, and by the way I'm 27 and can't sit up straight after I get up, maybe we should take some yoga or something!

Tara said...

Wow 31!!! I didn't realize you were so much older than me! You're really getting up there :) You really should take it easy. Maybe get out the rocker and an old afgan to go over your fragile shoulders. I'm surprised you were able to stay up late enough for Jesterz. As for the yoga Brooke suggested, I think Brooke knows that there is only ONE workout class that will ever get her feeling tip top, and she deserted that class and spat in it's face. Anyways, hope you had a great birthday and that you make it for a few more!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!, Oh wait you have the same birthday as me!! haha oh well! :)

Jennifer said...

How funny. I am glad to finally get a post. I keep checking Jaimes thinking maybe the date is wrong, but it is always the same post. I know there were a lot of kids at Kaylee's birthday. It was the first year having preschool kids there too. Thanks for sharing your day with her too!

Jennifer said...

How funny. I am glad to finally get a post. I keep checking Jaimes thinking maybe the date is wrong, but it is always the same post. I know there were a lot of kids at Kaylee's birthday. It was the first year having preschool kids there too. Thanks for sharing your day with her too!

Sharla said...

Happy birthday... man you are old. It never seemed like it when we were in high school, but man you've aged :). j/k. I love that you took the time to update since Jaime's been busy. Seriously true about the body not working like it used to. You haven't even given birth so your body hasn't realized as much trauma as a womans :). Thanks for the fun post... looking forward to retirement... is that when all my kids are out of the house?

Jaime and Brent said...

Yeah, Jesterz was pretty fun and Tara, just so you know, I went to the early showing, before my arthritis decided to set in for the night. Also Courtney, it was you who decided to make your little celebration of life on the same say I had already chosen. But that's ok, I willing to share. Happy Birthday. Sharla, as for your question about retirement, my answer would be... the time in your life when the only thing that wakes you up in the middle of the night is a fart.:)
B:

Julie said...

Ok, so I died laughing at your "prime of life" soapbox comments! I am bemoaning turning 30in a few months! And while my body isn't falling apart yet, I hyperventilate every time I see yet another wrinkle!
It was great to hear from you and remember that sarcastic humor from high school (though I don't know that I thought you were all that funny in high school since most of your sarcasm was directed towards me;)J/K)

Apryl said...

Hey Brent...saw you on Tara Weathersby's blog...Devin would love to see your blog...I will have to show him. Beautiful family!