Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back to School

Well, it's been fun while it lasted. I stopped my classes in October of last year, since I didn't want school to interrupt my holidays like they did in '07. So, I've had a pretty fun and lengthy "vacation from education". I think I have enjoyed it a little too much, actually. I have only been back for 3 days now and I'm already having sleep withdrawls. It feels like I have been going to school forever. I guess it's my fault for taking a 5 year break from the books. I have this weird feeling that by the time I finish my schooling, I'll be just about ready to retire.

For those who are unaware, I have a thing against racking up school loans, so I am taking class by class, here and there (3-4 per year) and paying it off as I go along. I don't know... I just have too many friends that have 30 year loans on their education and I refuse to do the same. I have around 12 or 13 classes left which should put me at around 2011 when I get that little piece of paper that tells hiring managers that, even though I already had about 10 years of technical writing and business experience, now that I have achieved this piece of paper my skill level is going to sky rocket and I'm going to become 200% more productive. Git'r Dun!

In a corporate world, I think a business degree is highly over-rated. I see to many young people in my department come in with a "piece of paper" and NO experience, but get hired on at 10-15K more than a colleague that has been doing the same job for the previous 5 years (no piece of paper). It makes no sense to me. Oh, well. Some day I'll get that "piece of paper." Dang, that piece of paper.

B:

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Hang in there! It's right around the corner.